Do you need gluten-free shortcrust pastry for your pie? You’re in the right place. We have the recipe you need using cornstarch!
Shortcrust pastry is useful in many recipes. Serves as a base for sweet or savory pies. However, classic pie dough is made with gluten-rich wheat flour. And when you’re intolerant, it’s not ideal. Happily, We have a gluten-free shortcrust pastry recipe so you can have fun. This is based on corn starch, which is corn starch. Which means this recipe is guaranteed gluten-free. It is very quick to prepare and easy to handle. We’ll let you discover the recipe.
Gluten-free shortcrust pastry: how to prevent it from softening without pre-cooking?
To prevent your shortcrust pastry from becoming soggy during baking, it is not necessary to pass through blind pre-cooking in the oven. There are other methods that are equally effective. You can Brush the bottom of the shortcrust pastry with egg white to create a waterproof layer. If it’s a sweet recipe, Sprinkle the base of the pie with almond powder. On the other hand, if it’s a tasty recipe, sprinkle with breadcrumbs. In both cases, the ingredients will absorb the juices from the food and prevent the dough from becoming wet.
Gluten-free shortcrust pastry: the easy recipe with rice flour and cornstarch
If you need gluten-free flour, opt for this great recipe made with rice flour and cornstarch. It is quick to prepare and above all very easy take over control.
- 160g rice flour
- 40 g corn starch (cornstarch)
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 10 cl of warm water
- In a large bowl, place the rice flour, cornstarch and salt. Mix the ingredients.
- Pour in the olive oil and mix. You should get a sandy preparation.
- Gradually pour the water and mix until you get a soft dough. Add a little water if necessary.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Arrange the shortcrust pastry between two pieces of baking paper and roll out. Place the dough in a tart pan and prick the bottom.
- Pre-cook blind for 5 to 10 minutes at 180°C or directly fill the shortcrust pastry.
How to store shortcrust pastry?
If you don’t use your shortcrust pastry immediately, be sure to store it well. To do this, roll out and wrap in plastic wrap. Then put it in the fridge. Under these conditions, you can store shortcrust pastry for 2 to 3 days. Another option is to freeze. The process is identical. Roll out the shortcrust pastry, wrap it in plastic wrap and place it in the freezer. This way, it will last up to 2 months. To defrost, simply take the shortcrust pastry out of the freezer and let it rest overnight in the fridge. Before using, remove it at room temperature.